Heyy I know it’s July and Im freaking out how fast time flies these days. Im putting this out here because I couldn’t find any specifically helpful post online about it. So my car road tax has expired for more than a year. Im still paying for my car so there’s no way to have the original title deed (geran) or a copy because I live far from the state that I registered my car when I first bought it (banks wont post it because it’s a confidential document you’ll have to walk in yourself).
PUSPAKOM inspection ——-> Insurance ——–> Road tax
Here Im sharing how to handle it as the owner. You can also send another person to bring the car for inspection, just bring your IC copy and relevant documents. It has become a real headache to me as I need to use the car asap.
- Get your VOC
Info : VOC is Vehicle Registration Certificate or Sijil Pemilikan Kenderaan. Before 2016 JPJ issued Car Registration Card (RC) for use in the many services by JPJ as proof that you’re the owner of that particular car. Now it’s replaced with VOC . Go to any JPJ office near you but as a safe bet go to the big ones (I went to JPJ in my local UTC) locate the kiosk and follow the instructions, and pay the RM50 fee to get your VOC printed out using debit card. You can ask the staff to help you use the kiosk or if it’s available or not in that branch. NO NEED TO TAKE NUMBER. The only time you may need to wait is if there’s a line of people using the kiosk!! It’s utterly easy!
2. Get a PUSPAKOM appointment
Cars that has expired road tax exceeding 1 year will need to come in for inspection (category Pemeriksaan Khas). PUSPAKOM has an efficient online appointment booking system and knowing Malaysians they rather wait looong lines than booked a freakin a slot first, which is so easy…PUSPAKOM has a dedicated line for appointments and is usually so short in comparison to the walk in lines. Don’t just walk in PERIODT!!
- register as a new user, activate via email
- choose which branch you wanted to go to
- choose available time slot
- pay (fees are according to which category of inspection etc)
- print the appointment form!
3. Make sure to bring any documents needed
If you are unsure what to bring just call PUSPAKOM toll free number 1-800-88-6927 and ask away. For my case, I only need my IC (of course) and VOC
4. Prepare and get your car inspected
Make sure you car is ready to go or use the one day permit from JPJ. To be 100% safe use this permit. I just drove my car to the nearest PUSPAKOM haha fill your gas and prepare for entertainment/food for this lol the waiting time can be long (mine was 2 hours for the whole process). When you arrive on the chosen date and time go to the guard post FIRST, ask them and they will tell you what and where you need to go. You dont wanna park / wait at the wrong line or area or missed out a step because you might lose time. Most central PUSPAKOM centre has high traffic of customers. Some people use ‘runners’ but I don’t.
- Know your queue line and wait for your turn.
- Get the staff to scan the code on your printed appointment form (from the website earlier)
- Go to payment counter with your relevant documents
- If you booked online, fill a form and you will get your receipt. Give this receipt to the staff that is checking your car
- If you didn’t booked online make payment and get your receipt as above
- After inspection was finished go to the result counter and they will give you the inspection report
OR get them come to you .
DONE with inspection!
With this PUSPAKOM inspection passed, only now you can buy insurance and get your new road tax. This can be done in a number of ways. You can either use insurance agents via whatsapp or go to any JPJ office and apply over the counter. Bring your insurance policy document, your license, VOC / geran original, and PUSPAKOM inspection result papers. I prefer to go to UTC since I can’t really get out during working hours.
Hope this helps =)